Archive For The “Technology” Category

NASA launches InSight spacecraft on $1B Mars mission to peek below surface

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. — With the orange flames of its engine lighting up the foggy sky for miles around, a car-sized Mars lander rocketed into space early in a first-of-its-kind launch from California on a mission to probe beneath the surface of the Red Planet.The nearly $1 billion Mars InSight probe blasted off shortly after […]

Read more »

DRDO Is Taking New Challenges in AI And Robotics That Will Act As Force Multipliers

The Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) is an apogee among institutions under the government’s Department of Defence Research and Development. It has since 1958, beenindigenously developing military technology, weapons and equipment for the Indian Armed Forces. It has received both bouquets for India’s home-grown missiles technology (Agni-V, NAG and the long-range LRSAM), rocket systems (Pinaka) […]

Read more »

ISRO set to develop smart propellants for reusable launches

Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is planning to develop world class propulsion technology to ensure cost effective re-usable, recoverable, re-startable and reliable space launches, said ISRO chairman Dr K Sivan in his video message for the annual National Conference on Emerging Trends in Aerospace Technologies – ‘ASET’ 2018 on future of propulsion at Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre […]

Read more »

India gears up for AI-driven wars

To prepare the Army, the Navy and the Air Force for next-generation warfare In an ambitious defence project, the government has started work on incorporating artificial intelligence (AI) to enhance the operational preparedness of the armed forces in a significant way, which would include equipping them with unmanned tanks, vessels, aerial vehicles and robotic weaponry.The move, part […]

Read more »

NASA invests in technology for space exploration missions

NASA is investing in several next-generation technology concepts that will help the US space agency use them for future space exploration missions. This includes meteoroid impact detection, space telescope swarms and small orbital debris mapping technologies, NASA said in a statement. It has selected 25 early-stage proposals that have the potential to transform future human and robotic exploration missions, introduce new exploration […]

Read more »

NASA set to build quiet supersonic planes

For the first time in decades, NASA is set to develop an ‘experimental plane’ designed to fly faster than the speed of sound without producing the noise typical of supersonic flights. The X-plane’s mission is to provide crucial data that could enable commercial supersonic passenger air travel over land. NASA has awarded a $247.5 million contract to US-based […]

Read more »

TeamIndus get another chance at moon mission

TeamIndus, which captured the attention of the country with their ambitious plan to land a rover on the Moon to win the Google Lunar XPRIZE, will be able to continue with their mission even though the internet giant will no longer be a sponsor of the prize.  However, the XPRIZE foundation on said that it […]

Read more »

‘DGCA nod for seaplane flights’

Single-engine aircraft operations feasible with caveats, rules in 45 days: Mr Choubey A DGCA committee has observed that single-engine seaplanes can be used to operate commercial services feasibly subject to certain conditions, a senior government official said. The Directorate General of Civil Aviation was now preparing rules for permitting the service and the norms would […]

Read more »

Cyient teams up with BlueBird for drones

Cyient Solutions & Systems Pvt Ltd and Israel-based BlueBird Aero Systems have entered into a joint venture to offer field-proven UAV systems to Indian defence, paramilitary, security, and police forces. In the joint venture, announced at DefExpo 2018, Cyient will have a 51 per cent and the rest 49 per cent to be held by […]

Read more »

ISRO successfully launches navigation satellite IRNSS-1I to replace faulty IRNSS-1A

The successful launch of PSLV-C41 rocket carrying India’s eighth navigation satellite IRNSS-1I from Sriharikota at 4.04ambrought smile back on the faces of scientists of Indian Space Reserach Organisation (ISRO) amid tough time when the space agency is struggling to restore the snapped link with its recently launched communication satellite Gsat-6A. The textbook launch of PSLV-C41 took place in four stages and […]

Read more »